Want a bottle that fits Dad's personality? We got you covered.
The Concept of Personality
In the late 19th century, a new field of psychology spearheaded by Sigmund Freud and his followers was centered around the concept of personality. After him, a barrage of theorists followed, each adding their own flavors and additions to the theories that came before them.
While each personality theory uses its own vocabulary, let us focus on the image below.
Personality: the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
Along the X-axis, there is a concept of 'introvert' vs. 'extrovert', and along the Y-axis, there is the concept of 'feeler' vs. a 'thinker'. The intersection of these 'axes' forms four quadrants, each of which represents a personality “type” or "style". The four quadrants are analytical, amiable, driver, and expressive, which serve well to define the four basic personality styles (ref: pmi.org).
Now, this may be slightly unconventional, but we have come up with a list of spirits based on what we think would fit one of these personality styles for Dad. Ready? Here, we go.
The Analytical personality falls in the quadrant formed by the boundaries of Introvert/Thinker. These individuals are generally described as being logical, thorough, serious, systematic, prudent, cautious, and compliant. These people will be constantly assessing, determining pros and cons, and making a list of to-do items (ref: pmi.org).
- Bourbon - Stellum Bourbon - A bourbon driven by progress, polish and—above all—attention to detail. Stellum Bourbon finds its flavor in the tension of three Indiana Bourbon mash bills, two of which are high-rye, with the third being almost exclusively corn, masterfully blended with care and precision to create a signature profile.
- Whiskey - Kaiyo Signature Mizunara Oak - This 100% malted barely spirit from Japan is thoughtfully matured for 3 months on the ocean to bring out unique flavors. Old Man and the Sea comes to mind here, but the Old Man is sipping Japanese Whisky.
- Scotch - Mash&Grape x Compass Box Great Kings St. Artist's Blend - Artist's Blend is a tribute to a time when blenders used artistry, creativity and craft to make a combo of flavorful single malt whiskies and delicate single grain whiskies to make one of the world's most famous blends of Scotch. We picked our own single barrel of this blend, rested in French Oak Marrying Casks for 16 months, and find ourselves sipping on it when in deep thought.
- Agave - Tears of Llorona Extra Anejo Tequila - This extra anejo is aged in three different barrels - former scotch casks, sherry casks, and brandy casks, and then carefully re-combined in very small batches to create a complex tequila with totally unique characteristics. This is a rare treat for even the most discerning of tequila drinkers and made by, as some say, the best Tequilero in the world. Ask your Dad to let you sip this and decide for yourself.
- Gin - Empress 1908 Gin - This meticulously crafted gin changes color due to a botanical called exotic butterfly pea blossom, depending on the mixer. Indigo blue in color, added to a splash of tonic, it transforms to monarch purple then rose petal pink. Dad will spend hours staring at it. And recreating it. So stock up on tonic.
The Amiable personality falls in the quadrant formed by the boundaries of Introvert/Feeler. These individuals are generally described as being strong, cooperative, supportive, diplomatic, patient, and loyal.
- Bourbon - Penelope Four Grain Straight Bourbon - Remarkably smooth and flavorful, Penelope is your steady, everyday whiskey that you can count on day after day. Like Lou Gehrig. Or Dad.
- Whiskey - IrishAmerican 10 Year Single Malt - This Irish whiskey is handcrafted using the finest single malt barley, double distilled and matured for 10 years. A classic whiskey with bit of a modern touch. Like Dad trying on slim fit chinos.
- Scotch - Bladnoch Samsara - This is a full-bodied and fragrant blend of malts matured in ex Bourbon and ex Californian red wine casks. A sure shot crowd pleaser. Like the Dad jokes that are corny but funny (this is obviously written by a dad, haha).
- Agave - Tequila Ocho Plata - No additives are ever added to Tequila Ocho, so you are tasting the truest essence of the agave plant. Honest, transparent, truthful. Remind you of someone?
- Gin - Red Door Highland Gin - This is a new age twist on a London Dry, classic gin. Solid gin with a great provenance. Everyone loves it - from the snobs to the hipsters. Like when Dad ends up getting along with all your friends.
The Driver personality falls in the quadrant formed by the boundaries of Extrovert/Thinker. These individuals are generally described as being dominant, independent, candid, decisive, pragmatic, and efficient (ref: pmi.org).
- Bourbon - Barrell Bourbon Private Release D01K - This micro-blend cask strength beauty is a whopping 56.39% ABV. We love this exclusive blend for its unique flavor profile and bold finish. The post-2008 Liam Neeson of Bourbon?
- Whiskey - Found North Batch 002 - 16yr Cask Strength Whisky - A whopping 64.9% ABV non-chill filtered, cask-strength whiskey. Sure to knock yours or Dad's socks off. Battle of equals you say?
- Scotch - Benromach Single Malt Scotch Cask Strength 2007 - The Benromach distillery in Scotland has delighted fans worldwide with his cask strength 10 year offering. Strong and aged. Should be a good fit.
- Agave - El Luchador Tequila - A unique 110 proof organic blanco tequila for a Dad that prefers a strong, velvety spirit that packs a punch and doesn't hide anything. Picturing Clint Eastwood now...
- Gin - Perry's Tot Navy Strength Gin - This original Navy Strength Gin – at 57% ABV – is the historical proof at which gunpowder might still be fired should it unfortunately be soaked by spilled spirit. Gunpowder, history, navy, strength, spirit - need we say more?
The Expressive personality falls in the quadrant formed by the boundaries of Extrovert/Feeler. These individuals are generally described as being charming, outgoing, enthusiastic, persuasive, fun-loving, and spontaneous (ref: pmi.org).
- Bourbon - Kings County Distillery Peated Bourbon - Made from New York State 80% organic corn and 20% English malted barley, it is twice distilled in copper pot stills and then aged in new charred oak barrels. Rich in caramel, vanilla, and holiday spice, this bottle is bursting with personality. Expressive personality to be clear.
- Whiskey - Coalition Straight Rye Whiskey Margaux Barriques - 100% rye whiskey aged in Bordeaux wine barrels from Margaux, an appellation renowned for powerful red wine. This particular barrel was chosen by us for especially strong Margaux properties: Dark attractive deep garnet and amber color, elegant in the mouth, great backbone and a long, pleasantly evolving finish. For the Dad who isn't afraid of trying something new. And also loves wine.
- Scotch - Highland Park 12 Year Old Viking Honour - Predominantly aged in sherry seasoned European and American oak casks, this 12 Year Old boasts warm wintery spices that are engulfed in waves of smoky honey, fruitcake and heather. This whisky, unlike some Dads, has no midlife crisis and is very comfortable in its skin, er, bottle.
- Agave - GEM&BOLT Mezcal Artesanal - A refined mezcal with a revolutionary spirit. Female-founded and uniquely distilled with Damiana, a flowering bush native to Mexico. Perfect for a Dad who loves experimentation. Also helps if loves Mezcal.
- Gin - Hapusa Himalayan Dry Gin - Made with Juniper from the Himalayan mountains, Hapusa is then combined with unique spices such as turmeric, coriander, cardamom, ginger, and gindhoraj (an ancient variety of lime) to provide a little taste of India. Gift it to the globe trotter Dad stuck at home. Or one that just loves Indian food.